Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
"I am amazed
at the outcome. I can see 20/20 in my left eye the first day after
surgery. Dr. Patel you are the best at what you do again thank
you". - P. Lee
- Professional License, Maryland (2005)
- Professional License, North Carolina (2006)
- Cornea/Refractive Surgery Specialist (2005)
- Board Certified, Ophthalmology (2007)
Dr. Patel was born in Erie, Pennsylvania and raised in Augusta, Georgia. His desire to practice ophthalmology is inspired by the gratification he receives from providing improved sight and a better quality of life for his patients. In his free time, Dr. Patel enjoys traveling as well as playing and watching sports. He is an avid Pittsburgh Steelers fan.
Education Dr. Patel completed a six-year, combined B.S./M.D. program at Kent State University/Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine. After his medical internship, Dr. Patel obtained his ophthalmology training at the University of North Carolina Hospitals in Chapel Hill, where he served as Chief Resident during his final year. Dr. Patel pursued an additional year of fellowship training at Johns Hopkins Hospital/Wilmer Eye Institute, specializing in cornea and refractive surgery. He currently serves as a clinical assistant professor at the University of North Carolina Department of Ophthalmology.
Surgical Interests Dr. Patel’s surgical specialties include cataract surgery, LASIK eye surgery, and cornea transplants. Regarding his refractive surgery experience, Dr. Patel is fully certified and has been performing custom LASIK with the leading laser system, VISX®. He has experience with IntraLase® technology as well as with the Moria and Amadeus microkeratomes. Dr. Patel also performs various corneal surgeries, including full-thickness corneal transplants (penetrating keratoplasty) as well as the newer partial-thickness corneal transplant, DSAEK, which allows faster visual recovery and avoids stitches.
Professional Memberships / Achievements
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- Medical Executive Committee (Fayetteville Ambulatory Surgery Center)
- Inducted into Fayetteville’s 40 under 40
- Cambridge Who’s Who Professional of the Year 2009 (representing Ophthalmology Industry)
- Better Health (non-profit organization) 2009 Care Provider of the Year