"Dr. Riggins is my hero! His concern and skills went far beyond anything I expected. He just completed cataract surgery on both my eyes and I am in awe of my improved vision. Both he and the entire staff were phenomenal! I couldn't be happier with all they've done for me." -
- Professional License, North Carolina (1999)
- Board Certified, Ophthalmology (1995)
- Board Certified, Optometry (1981)
Education and Training
Undergraduate: 1973-1977 Mercer University, B.S., Macon, Georgia
- 1977-1981 University of Houston College of Optometry, O.D., Houston, Texas.
- 1984-1988 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, M.D., Bethesda, Maryland.
- Internship: 1988-1989 Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Residency: 1990-1993 Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Washington, D.C.
- 1981-1984: Chief, Optometry, USAMEDDAC, Bremerhaven, Germany
- 1989-1990: Director, Health Services, Ft. Dietrich, Maryland
- 1992-1993: Chief Resident, Ophthalmology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
- 1993-1999: Clinical Instructor of Surgery, UNC School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- 1993-present Clinical Instructor of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of Health Services, Bethesda, Maryland
- 1993-1997: Chief of Ophthalmology, Womack Army Medical Center, Ft. Bragg, North Carolina
- 1997-1999: Assistant Chief, Department of Surgery, Womack Army Medical Center, Ft.Bragg, NC
- 1999-Present: Cape Fear Eye Associates, Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Cape Fear Valley Medical Center - Active Privileges
- Highsmith Rainey Hospital - Active Privileges
- Fayetteville Ambulatory Surgery Center - Active Privileges
Professional Awards and Honors
- 1992, 1998 Outstanding Clinical Instructor, Womack Army Medical Center, Ft. Bragg, North Carolina
- 2014-The Order of the Long Leaf Pine
Cataract Surgery, Refractive Surgery, Strabismus/Muscle Surgery, Glaucoma Surgery, Neonatal Exams, Corneal Transplants, Oculoplastic Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Fellow
- North Carolina Medical Society
- American Society of Military Ophthalmologists
- Cumberland County Medical Society
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- 1996 – Photorefractive Keratectomy for the treatment of refractive error in United States Army Service Members, Principal Investigator.
- 2014 – Non-contact retinal imaging compared to indirect ophthalmoscopy for retinopathy of prematurity screening: infant safety profile - approved by the Institutional Review Boards at Cape Fear Valley and Duke University Health Systems and conformed to the requirements of the United States Health Insurance Portability and Privacy Act - Journal of Perinatology. Published - June 2018
American Academy of Ophthalmology, ‘Ophthalmology Retina’- August 2018 issue: Evaluating a Portable, Noncontact Fundus Camera for Retinopathy of Prematurity Screening by Nonophthalmologist Health Care Workers - Published online: January 10, 2018
Colonel Medical Corps U.S. Army Reserve (Retired).
- City of Fayetteville Historic Resources Commission: 1996-2001, 2002-2006; Chair Tricommission Infill Task Force (2006)
- City of Fayetteville Festival Park Task Force: September 2008 – February 2009
- City of Fayetteville Unified Development Ordinance Task Force: March 2008 – December 2010
- City of Fayetteville North Carolina Veterans Park Community Advisory Committee: 2007-2008
- Fayetteville State University Chancellor’s Advisory Committee: 2005-2006
- Trustee, Fayetteville State University, 2010-2013
- Trustee, Arts Council of Fayetteville/Sandhills Region; 2006-present, Chair 2010-2011
- Board of Directors, Fathers Foundation: 2005-2008
- Board of Directors, Methodist University Friends of Music: 2006-2008
- Board of Directors, Equality North Carolina: 2012-2016
- North Carolina Democratic Party: Delegate (alternate) 2008 Democratic National Convention;
- Delegate 2012 Democratic National Convention, Senior Executive Committee North Carolina Democratic Party
- Board of Directors North Carolina Justice Center 2015-Present
- Board of Directors American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (ACLU NC) 2015-Present
- North Carolina Commission for Public Health appointed by Governor Roy Cooper. 2017- Present
- Linear Park Corporation, City of Fayetteville, ad hoc member, June 2018-present
- UDO Task Force, City of Fayetteville, June 2018-present