Download EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
Are you looking for a career in Ophthalmology? Cape Fear Eye Associates is now hiring at their Fayetteville locations. Clinical Staff needed for busy ophthalmology practice; friendly environment, great benefits, full-time positions only. Experience in ophthalmology preferred, but will train. Please send resume to Clinic Manager email@example.com or fax to 910-484-1673 attn: Clinic Manager.
JOB TITLE/DESCRIPTION: TECHNICIAN/SCRIBE- Ophthalmic Assistant
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Maintain and record all chart documentation correctly in the patient’s chart. The scribe will be on hand to assist the doctor and the patient to ensure the patient gets the proper care.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Clinic Manager and/or Lead Technician
-Reviews patient’s charts prior to exam to anticipate procedures and supplies or equipment that may be needed
-Documents exam findings in the patients charts dictated by the doctor
-Ensures route slips are complete and accurate before sending them to insurance
-Perform many of the diagnostic tests that the doctor has requested i.e. lasers, OCT
-Perform a variety of clinical skills i.e. IOP checks; instill drops to patient’s eyes if needed
-Instructs patients both verbally and with written instructions regarding medications and treatment
-Ensures the proper stocking of supplies needed in clinic and in each of the exam rooms
-Ensures rooms are properly cleaned for next day
-May assist the doctor with minor surgical procedures
-Clean and sterilize equipment and maintain autoclave
-Maintains patients confidentiality
-Assistance to Technician as needed
-Any other projects or responsibilities that are requested by a Lead Technician or the Clinic Manager
The jobholder must demonstrate competencies applicable to the job position
This position requires that the jobholder have good handwriting and computer skills
Should be detail-oriented and have excellent interpersonal skills. The jobholder should have the ability to work well with a variety of people
EDUCATION: High school graduation or GED
EXERIENCE: Medical background preferred, but not required, COA Certified a PLUS
KNOWLEDGE: Computer skills, medical knowledge, if applicable
-Good spelling ability
-Using the computer efficiently
-Problem solving and decision-making
-Write legibly in patient chart/computer
-Plan, organize and prioritize work
-Ability to communicate well, both verbally and writing
-Clearly communicate and apply policies and principles to solve everyday problems and deal with a variety of situations
-Plan and exercise initiative
-Read, interpret and apply organization policies and procedures
Combination of office, exam and other clinical settings. Frequent exposure to communicable disease, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to an ophthalmology clinic environment.
Requires standing or walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Occasional stressful conditions.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
FRONT DESK STAFF
JOB SUMMARY: Greets all patients or visitors presenting to the front desk. Collects co-pays, co-insurances, and any past due balances from patients. Schedules returning appointments upon patients’ check out. Answers the multi-line telephone. Verifies insurance benefits and eligibility. Obtains insurances authorizations. Assists and counsels self-pay patients. Balances the money drawer at the end of each day. Performs other duties as necessary.
CHECK-IN/OUT ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Greets patients presenting at front desk.
- Collects co-pays, co-insurances, and any past due balances from patients.
- Assists patients filling out disability and medical records release and collects related fees.
- Ensures information on fee tickets is accurate to the best of their ability.
- Fills out necessary ABN forms, explains them to patients, and obtains all required signatures.
- Makes announcements when clinic is running behind schedule, offering refreshments especially to diabetic or handicapped patients.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters relating to patients.
- Schedules follow up appointments upon patients checking out.
- Assists with check in, check out, and switchboard.
- Assists with insurance verification, pre-certification, and eligibility.
- Helps mailing reception packets to all new patients prior to appointments.
- Handles patients’ inquiry or concern about their medical insurance or their financial status.
- Corrects when necessary any incorrect patients’ information in the system.
- Helps keeping the front desk area stocked with necessary supplies and cleans the front area as needed.
- Forwards all medical records and disability forms to the Medical Records department.
- Communicates with clinic’s staff regarding patients processing delays.
- Prepares necessary paperwork for the next business day.
- Verifies patients’ balances prior to their visit.
- Signs in all vendors or visitors presenting at the front desk.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School graduate.
- Medical Terminology.
- At least one year experience in Customer Service preferable in the medical field.
- Spanish speaking a plus.
- Good knowledge of computers as well as WORD AND EXCEL.
- Basic knowledge of office functions and procedures.
- Ability to deal with patients who may be ill, confused, and/or distraught as well as the general public.
- Good sense of organization and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain composure and emotions in difficult situations.
- Job requires being reliable, responsible, dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
POSITION RELATIONSHIP: In the Fayetteville location two employees (one at Owen Drive and one at Metro Medical Drive) are appointed as “Leads” and are used as Point of Contact when the Office Manager is absent or unavailable. Front Desk employees do not supervise any other personnel. They receive supervision and guidance from the Office Manager followed by the Practice Administrator.